Resource Guide for Parents

Resource Guide > Advising, Counseling, and Health >

"To Do" Before Students Arrive
Quick Reference: Advising, Counseling, and Health

Following is a medical “to do” list that your students should complete before coming to campus.


Determine insurance needs. Tools for helping you determine the best coverage option for your students are located at


All of the immunizations listed below are available at UHS. See for more information.

  • Hepatitis B. A state law requires first-time UC enrollees who are under 19 on the first day of classes to provide proof of immunization against Hepatitis B as a condition of enrollment.

In addition to the standard pediatric immunizations, the following are recommended for college-age students. It is helpful for students to have a copy of their immunization records when filling out their health history forms at UHS.

  • Flu vaccine (each fall).
  • Gardasil®, the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccine. Recommended for girls and women from ages 9-26. Three-dose series.
  • Hepatitis A. For students in certain risk groups.
  • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella). Two doses at least one month apart for students born after 1956.
  • Meningitis vaccine. For incoming college freshmen living in dormitories.
  • Tdap: Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough). Following a complete primary series, a booster every 10 years. Tdap should replace a single dose of Td (tetanus/diphtheria) for adults who have not previously received Tdap.
  • Varicella (chicken pox). Two doses one month apart for students who have never had chicken pox or for whom a blood test does not show immunity.

Other recommendations

  • Transfer medical records: If your student’s primary medical care will be provided by the Tang Center, he or she may wish to have medical records transferred from a previous health care provider. A release form for transfers of records to UHS can be printed online or picked up in person from Medical Records.
  • TB screening: A baseline TB skin test is recommended for students from TB-endemic areas.
  • Health summary: Students with chronic health problems such as diabetes or asthma should bring to campus a health summary or copy of their last physical assessment. They should establish a regular primary care provider at UHS.
  • Prescription medications: Students should bring a one-month supply of the medications they use on an ongoing basis, as well as copies of all their prescriptions, and should plan ahead for refills. Students with SHIP should have their prescriptions transferred to the UHS pharmacy to ensure the lowest cost.
  • Allergy shots: Students who receive allergy shots and wish to continue them at UHS should go to
    medical/allergy for instructions.
  • First-aid kits: Students are encouraged to have a kit that includes a thermometer.

Care at University Health Services is available to all registered students, even if they have their own major medical insurance. Students can call to make an appointment. (See contact information on Quick Reference.)

Alcohol Education

Alcohol Education Requirement
Every incoming first-year student at Berkeley is required to take an online alcohol education tutorial before arriving on campus. Studies show that students’ ability to learn is enhanced when they are part of a safe and healthy community. AlcoholEdu helps students gain a common understanding of the effects of alcohol and alcohol abuse, as well as skills to cope with the potentially unhealthy drinking behavior of their peers.

AlcoholEdu is an online, science-based alcohol prevention program that focuses on the impact of alcohol on the mind and body. We urge you to talk to your students about alcohol and drug use and to reinforce your expectations for your students’ behavior while they are away from home.For more information, go to

PartySafe Program

University Health Services also provides the PartySafe program to encourage students to have fun, problem-free social lives at Berkeley by being great hosts, guests, and neighbors. The online program furnishes information about alcohol laws and penalties, steps for handling alcohol poisoning, and answers to frequently asked questions. Go to

For individual help, Social Services offers ongoing groups on alcohol and drug use, family and co-dependency issues, and 12-step recovery programs.

Next: Return to the Table of Contents


Cal Parents | Letter Home | Resource Guide for Parents | Parents Fund for Cal

Alumni, Parents & Friends | Visitor Services | Campus News

Copyright UC Regents. All rights reserved.
Produced and maintained by the Office of Public Affairs at UC Berkeley.

Comments? E-mail